Thursday 31 December 2009

My favourite song of 2009....

It's been another year where I haven't bought that much new music, or even listened to many new albums. However, even in the musical drought, I did get hold of the new Prefab Sprout album "Lets change the world with music" and that ended up being my favourite album of the year (I listen to it every night as I drift off to sleep) as well as providing me with my favourite song of 2009.

The song is "God Watch Over You" and is the fourth track on the album. Being so blase about religion, I actually struggled in the beginning with loving a song so much that talked about God. But I fell in love with the lyrics and have accepted the song for the beautiful words, even if they do mention God. I understand the meaning, the spirit of the song, to care about someone so much that you want them to be forever protected and what a beautiful sentiment that is. Here are the lyrics, let them capture you too!

God Watch Over You

I've no time for religion,
maybe doubt's a modern disease?
Then I look at you, and here's what I do,
I wear holes in both my knees.

I pray that God protects you,
and if he is busy elsewhere
may his legions speed
in your hour of need
and surround you till he's there.

I pray that God protects you...

God watch over you
every minute, every moment
God watch over you
every minute, every moment
God watch over you (and if you fall)

May he stretch out his arm and catch you,
keep you from harm, or sweep you
into his palm...but...

God watch over you
God watch over you

I've told your guardian angel
not to let you out of his sight
or attempt to fly - if he sees you cry
he's to stand his ground and fight,
I've warned your guardian angel...

God watch over you
every minute, every moment
God watch over you
every minute, every moment
God watch over you (and if you fall)

May he stretch out his arm and catch you,
keep you from harm, or sweep you
into his palm...but...

God watch over you
God watch over you (and if you fall)
God watch over you

God watch over you
God watch over you


I love the way that Paddy McAloon puts lyrics together. In the first verse, the last line "I wear holes in both my knees" - although the words are actually nonsensical, they immediately create an image of someone on their knees, praying fervently. He projects an image using words that don't actually make sense. Although this is quite normal for a Sprout song and the lyrics on this album are nowhere near as bonkers as they have been on other albums.

The whole album is linked by the dual themes of music and religion. And when I hear someone sing so passionately about music, all it makes me want to do is put down some roots somewhere (I've been living like a hobo for nearly two years now), get all my stuff out of storage, set up my decks, sort out my CDs and albums and make music a big part of my life again!




1 comment:

Billi said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog when searching for Prefab Sprout...I've been a bit obsessed about them a bit lately. Anyway, I just wanted to say that it is nice to see that a woman of Pakistani origin (I just quickly scanned through some posts of yours) who likes the Sprouts. I think that is not a very common thing..:-) I am of Pakistani origin too, living in Scandinavia....


N.A