Saturday 22 March 2008

Dreams....


No not the hopes and aspirations type, but the ones you have at night. Ever since arriving in Ibiza, I've found that my dreams are vastly more clear and vivid than before. I've always dreamt in technicolour but usually in the morning, I wouldn't be able to remember the dreams. But here, every night it's like going to the cinema although I never have any idea what I'm going to be seeing.

My dreams are from my previous life. The first few weeks I was here, my daytimes were very much about looking forwards. But at night, my dreams were always about the life I'd left. It made me realise that although I wasn't looking back at what had been, subconsciously I hadn't let go. I guess that's normal, you don't spend a decade in a place building up a life and after leaving it, forget about it. Unless of course, you're running away from the life you had (which I'm not) and in that scenario, I imagine you try and forget what was before as quickly as possible. 

The other thing of note about my dreams is the cast of characters that make cameo appearances. Perhaps I've always dreamt like this but never been able to remember it. My younger sister with her Facebook "it's complicated" personal life often visits me in my dreams. We always seem to be fighting in my dreams, at times it gets quite violent. I dream about my friends but often I dream about the ones who are further down in my subconcious mind. And at times, I have strange dreams about people from my past who suddenly make an appearance after decades. One dream included this girl Ashley who used to work at the riding school where I worked. She wasn't a friend, I was scared of her, she was older and she was mean. I have no idea why she appeared, it's not as if she's someone I'd even thought of in recent years but there she was in my dream, with her red hair and heavy frame.  

In another dream, someone I was at university with was getting married. He was marrying the girl that he'd gone out with at university. But the weird thing about the dream was that soon after we all graduated, he declared that he was gay and set up home with his boyfriend. In this dream, I was attending the wedding but wondering to myself why he was getting married if he was gay? Once again, this is not someone I'm in contact with or someone I think of so once again, a little strange to have his cameo appearance. 

As I dream, I seem to be aware of the strange dreams I'm having. Once awake, I don't immediately remember the dreams, they come to me later in the day. Something happens and you're transported back to the dream you had and it comes back to you, piece by piece. My friend Jay was in my dream last night. I only remembered this afternoon while I was at an auction. I'm not sure what triggered me remembering the dream but suddenly Jay loomed back into my consciousness. It was good to see him, I haven't seen him in a while, ever since he ran away to live life in Sweden. 

I'm not sure what my dreams mean. Perhaps someone who analyses dreams can fill me in on what it's all about. I think it would be interesting to know!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I've read that dreams are our sub conscious mind's way of 'chatting' to our sleeping conscious mind in order to mentor it, guide it through problems or prepare it for things to come.

I read of a man who had gone into hospital for a routine operation. The operation had gone wrong, he ended up paralised and stayed in a coma for six months. When he awoke, the doctor broke the news that he'd never walk again. He laughed and said that he knew that as he'd been dreaming he'd been in a wheelchair for six months.

It makes you wonder who we actually are? Our sub conscious mind or our conscious mind? Obviously both but who pulls the strings?!