Thursday 19 June 2008

Good-bye Fluffy and Lady....





























Two of our kittens, Fluffy and Lady went to a new home yesterday. Here you can see them at play a few hours before they left for their new life.

A Spanish man had called after seeing our "kitten" poster, saying that his 4-year old daughter kept asking him for a kitten and he liked the look of ours. We arranged to meet at the bar in Santa Agnes for him to choose a kitten. I took three with me, Fluffy, Lady and Splodge. We don't have a proper cat carrier so I ended up putting them in a cardboard box which of course they all scrambled out of. In the end, I just put them in the back of the van and drove with the windows wound shut, hoping they wouldn't be too distressed. I'd already transported Little Red in that van that day (she's just had her op to stop any further babies) and she managed to get out of the cardboard box, even though she was still wobbly from the anaesthetic. She climbed all over the van, came and sat on my lap, peed next to me and then hung out in the back of the van until I got home.

Anyway, I drove to the bar and waited for the man. The kittens played in the back of the van but after a while climbed back into the cardboard box and hid. When he turned up, I showed him the kittens and did my best to encourage him to take two kittens, not the one he was planning on. Having watched the kittens at play over the last few weeks, the thought of one kitten going off on its own to a new home just didn't seem right. I managed to make him see the sense of taking two kittens (they play together and won't get lonely and he has a big garden) and put forward Fluffy and Lady. They are both confident little characters and play well together so I thought they should go to a new home together. I'd be worried about Splodge going anywhere at the moment as she has a persistent eye infection and just seems to be more needy than the other kittens. 

We put Fluffy and Lady into the back of his car (in the cardboard box) and I said good-bye to them. I got very emotional at this point with their two little faces looking up at me. It was hard. And then we went our separate ways, me with Splodge back to the house, crying as I drove back again and Fluffy and Lady off to their new home where a 4-year old girl would be awaiting their arrival!

I felt quite emotional the rest of the evening. Now when I walk round to the back of the house where the kittens live (they were moved out into the garden last week after the rat incident), there are only three little rascals who scamper round on hearing my voice, not the previous five. There was something so wonderful about turning the corner and seeing five little kittens come pelting my way, squeaking to welcome me! I know Fluffy and Lady have gone to a good home but it was very hard saying good-bye to them! 

No comments: