Wednesday 22 April 2009

London Book Fair

I've spent the last couple of days at the London Book Fair at Earls Court. There were some interesting seminars on, with the focus country being India. I don't know if the British Council had chosen India before Slumdog Millionaire came out in the cinemas but it seems like this is the country to watch at the moment.

I had the opportunity to listen to a Q & A session with Vikram Seth, the author of "A Suitable Boy". He was speaking about his last book "Two Lives" which I read last year. It is a fantastic book, a biography of his great-uncle and great-aunt and their experiences in Germany during the Second World War. I don't usually like biographies or autobiographies, often they are crammed full of tiny bits of information that bear little importance but the writer feels the need to put in everything, instead of choosing the best bits. "Two Lives" was a world away from this and really was a joy to read. The Q & A session was equally enjoyable.

I then went on to a seminar on how to reach the ethnic millions in the UK. At times this veered into "the British publishing world is full of white middle-class people and there should be some positive discrimination to get some brown faces in". I struggle with things like this. As far as I'm concerned (particularly in London), the opportunities are out there, regardless of colour, creed, race or gender. If you are professional and hard-working and have the right attitude, then there are few barriers in the way, unless of course you choose to construct some yourself. OK, there might be some industries that still remain quite "white" but I think that has as much to do with them not being so popular with ethnic minorities - if you look at other professions like medicine or dentistry, the numbers are more balanced. I'm uncomfortable with the liberal attitude to positive discrimination - someone getting a job because of the colour of their skin as opposed to merit and ability. Most jobs I've worked in I've been the only "brown" face in an otherwise sea of white, it's never been a problem. What matters most is my ability to do the job and that has nothing to do with the colour of my skin.

Sometimes ethnic minorities get too caught up in their victim mentality, if anything bad happens, it's because of the colour of their skin, no other reason. I remember listening to a family friend last Christmas. He was moaning about the fact that it was so difficult for muslims to progress and do well in this country. When I pointed out that I'd had some fantastic opportunities and had done well, he answered back "well not everyone's as pushy as you!". At this point I think I snorted. Being driven and determined has helped me to succeed but anything I've achieved is down to me being pushy! As I've long suspected, this particular uncle has a big chip on his shoulder and no matter what you say, he'll always see things from the victim's stance.

I went to a panel discussion this morning about India called "Through Fresh Eyes - Literature of Ideas". The panel comprised of emminent Indian writers, mostly non-fiction. It was a fascinating debate, one that brought language to the forefront. Most Indian writers who are read in the Western world write in English. This automatically means that this will be the elite - how much real understanding will they have of other worlds, other lives if they move in elite, priveliged circles? People writing in any of the native Indian languages rarely see their work translated to reach a wider audience so the snapshot we see of the country just touches the tip of the iceberg.

Recently I've started reading books by Pakistani writers that were written in Urdu and translated. The thing that struck me was how clumsy the language seemed. I've read many South Asian writers (who write in English) and their beautiful command of the language is a joy to behold. But these translations felt chunky and clunky. Maybe that is the problem with countries where English is spoken and written as much as the native languages (but only by the most highly-educated). Books will be published that have been written in English so the art of translation is lost or certainly it suffers. I thought of other foreign writers I've read who've written in their mother language and the book has then been translated - very few of these writers seem to suffer the same problem. It's also difficult to get the educated elite to embrace the native language instead of English as speaking English is seen as being so much more sophisticated. I always find it amusing when native Indians or Pakistanis talk amongst themselves in English, when another language is their mother tongue.

I was thinking about language earlier this week. My strongest language is English but the first language I spoke would have been Urdu. I still speak Urdu to my parents and family members of their generation. Where did I learn to speak English and from whom? I wouldn't have learnt it from my parents so did I learn it from the television? Or did I start school not speaking English? I've always thought it an advantage to have grown up bilingual. I'm sure it's helped me when I've been in a foreign country, immersed in learning a new language. But sometimes I wonder if these early bilingual days are a hinderance to my capabilities in English? If I'd grown up speaking only one language, would my command and ability have been much higher? I have friends who are writers and I'm always struck by how beautifully they use words and language. I asked one what his secret was and the answer? Practice! So I guess there is hope for me with the language I'd love to deploy magically, all I have to do is use it! And perhaps read a dictionary from time to time!

No comments: