Wednesday 16 July 2008

Wrong! Very wrong indeed!

I dropped by Cala Carbo beach yesterday to pick up my friend Emily. It's a cute little beach, off the beaten track, popular with families, a couple of family-run restaurants and that's about it.

As we were leaving, I looked over towards the sea and saw a sight that just made me go "wrong!". There was a man standing at the water's edge with a little girl next to him, maybe 8 years old. The girl was wearing a thong - it looked so wrong, so very wrong indeed. If the poor child wants to get an all-over tan, better run around stark naked as many of the kids do here. But wearing a thong seemed like the sexualisation of a child. I found it strange, I'm not sure what others on the beach thought, maybe across Europe it's considered normal but I actually found it a bit disturbing!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Couldn't agree more. I once saw a girl of similar age wearing high heeled shoes in a park. The father had her for the day and told me her mother dressed her. What kind of mother would do that??? She looked like a shrunken woman. Mind you, I do allow Lottie to try on shoes from the shop and sclatter up the road in them...sometimes stark naked ;)