Friday 24 October 2008

Two lives

As well as being a fantastic book by Vikram Seth, the title of this post refers to how I'm feeling on this trip back to London. Something I noticed as soon as I arrived (well by the time I got to Liverpool Street) was that it felt like I'd never left, I slipped straight into being back in London. It feels as if I have two lives now, one in Ibiza and one in London - I've got a foot in each and I move between the two and know that I belong in both.

It's a feeling that's already known to me. Having grown up with two very different cultures - British and Pakistani, in recent years I've felt that I belong to two cultures, once again a foot in each and the ability to move between the two in a fairly seamless fashion. I think it's good to be able to do this, your world becomes richer by having two vastly different things in it and I think you appreciate both things more. Feeling that I belong in both Ibiza and London can only be a good thing. To me, it means I do have a life there, a life that contains some of the most important things for me. I'm still connected to my life in London but not tied to it. I may have left London but my life is still here for me. Moving to Ibiza has already made my life richer. I've made friends who live in London but the friendships were formed in Ibiza - maybe our paths wouldn't have crossed in London, we'd never have become friends.

I'll probably come back and post more as it's an interesting theme for me. But now I've got to get ready for a full day ahead!

No comments: