Saturday 12 April 2008

It's not often that.....

...you get photographed with the former President of South Africa so I've decided to put a post in about this picture.

The photo was taken in March 2004, at the end of the inaugural weekend for the Global Leadership Foundation. I've got a big smile on my face as it was up to me to organise everything (apart from what was discussed in the meetings) and the weekend went really well, everyone was very happy and I was asked back the following year to organise the annual AGM.

Reading this, you may be thinking "but I thought she worked in interiors?". It's true, I do. But before I moved into interiors, I worked as an international relations consultant, gaining invaluable experience at the Foreign Office and Bell Pottinger Consultants. The experience was unique, high-level and basically I think I developed a reputation for delivering results, even with things I'd never done before. After I moved into interiors, I'd still get calls to do one-off international relations projects so, at times, I'd find my life moving between the two - I think it's known as a portfolio career. Although I don't think portfolio careers usually see you doing two things that are so vastly different.

The Global Leadership Foundation (GLF) is a not-for-profit organisation with the aim of helping national leaders who face complex economic and political challenges by providing confidential advice, especially but not exclusively in the developing world and emerging markets. The GLF, chaired by FW de Klerk, President of South Africa (1989-1994), is a group of former national leaders, all internationally respected with a wealth of experience in dealing with complex issues of state. The group meet annually, the first time being the inaugural weekend in March 2004.

I remember when I got the call from Graham Barr at Bell Pottinger. I was busy decorating a house down on the south coast and thought Graham had called as he had an interiors project for me. I sat down and he talked me through the GLF project. I'd already heard about the project while I was at Bell Pottinger but at that time, it was still an idea being discussed, nothing concrete had been established. By the beginning of 2004, the GLF project had moved forwards considerably and was ready to be launched with an inaugural weekend that would involve the members flying in from all around the world to attend. All they needed was someone to organise the weekend and I got that call. My time at the Foreign Office had seen me organising media arrangements for visits by Heads of State and Government so I had experience of working at the national level but nothing quite like the GLF project.

I went in for a meeting with Graham to talk about the project in greater detail. Although I'd never done anything like this before, I came to the conclusion that all my past experience put together would enable me to deliver successfully. There are so many variables you have to consider in order to make sure everything comes together beautifully. You sometimes have very delicate egos to manage and be prepared for any last-minute disasters.

I spent a month preparing for the launch which took place at Chevening, the Foreign Secretary's country residence. Our first former President was arriving early on the Friday morning so I had to be there in advance to meet him on arrival. I turned up in my normal mode of transport, my little white van. When I arrived, the Chevening staff said I could leave my car in front of the house, on the beautiful sweeping drive. I pointed out of the window to the vehicle and said perhaps it would be better if I parked out of sight - one of the more amusing times that my two different worlds have collided!

The weekend went really well. It was an honour to work closely with FW and he was delightful to work with. But even with the most meticulous planning, things can and will go wrong. We lost a President on the Friday night. His High Commission had decided to pick him up from the airport and bring him to Chevening. I'd offered our car service but the High Commission wanted to look after their own President. But they never did a reconnaissance trip from the airport to Chevening and found themselves lost. A thick fog had descended and they were trying to find their way round narrow country roads for the house. In the end, one of the fantastic members of Chevening staff guided them in over the phone. Once our missing President was safely on site, I could relax a little.

The rest of the weekend went very smoothly and FW was happy with the launch of the GLF. I was asked back the following year to organise the AGM which I went back to do, once again juggling interiors and international relations. It was off the back of the GLF projects that I was asked to be involved with the British Ukrainian Society. If you've read my post about the Society, you'll know how much I loved that project - it always makes me smile that two of my most interesting international relations projects, where I've had the greatest responsibility have come about after I left that world!

No comments: