Friday 22 August 2008

48 hours




Your life can change in 48 hours. Well, that's what happened to me. Last Saturday, I went to pick up Alberto and take him to one of the villas. On the drive over, he offered me the full-time position of running his shop KSAR and looking after any clients who want interiors work done. It's an amazing opportunity and the possibilities are endless so of course I said yes!

The offer was completely out of the blue and unexpected. It's not something we'd talked about before, not even a hint of an idea. In fact, I think I may have been speechless!

Then 48 hours later, as I was leaving the house for work, Bea said to me "just so you know and there's no misunderstanding, this is your last week in the house!" I was stunned into silence as I didn't know there was a date by which I had to leave the house, particularly as I had nowhere to go. But a few hours later I went to look at a studio apartment in Cala Carbo, ten minutes walk from the shop and decided to make that my new home. I was told I could move in on Thursday.

When I went back to the house later that afternoon, I started packing. The last few days have been a whirl of working, packing and getting things moved out of the house. I moved into the new place yesterday afternoon and the sense of relief was immense. Finally I was somewhere that I'm happy to call home. It's only a tiny studio but it's been newly renovated and everything I need is there. After six months of living without much electricity or hot water, in a tatty run-down place where the ghosts of D linger on as she never packed up her life in Ibiza, I'm in a place where I feel happy.

The security of the job offer and moving into a new place feels like a wonderful new chapter is beginning in Ibiza. I think living in the old house affected me more than I realised. Normally my surroundings really affect my mood and at times I felt surprised that I wasn't feeling depressed living in that house. But I think deep down I knew that it was more important to get things like work sorted before I started paying normal rent. I think I coped by blocking out how I might be feeling about the house. I never realised I had the ability to do that, it feels like it was what I needed to do to get through and somehow I managed it. Now things feel much lighter and brighter and I'm really looking forward to see how this new chapter turns out!

The photos in this post are of KSAR.

No comments: