Monday 29 September 2008

Leap and the net will appear!

I have a Myspace profile but hardly look at it now. For some reason, I logged on today and realised that I actually started blogging there. Some interesting/funny things written, here's another one of my pieces (apologies for the bad language, I guess I wanted to get my point across!) - written on the 12th February 2006.

Leap and the net will appear

As I've spent the last few years doing my own thing (no more being a corporate slave for me - woo hoo!), thought I'd scribble down some of the important things I've learnt from setting up and running my own business:

- create your own opportunities
- choose something you are truly passionate about
- be prepared to work your fucking arse off
- accept that success does not come overnight
- celebrate success when it does come
- take risks
- create your own unique style - don't copy others
- start small and build it up
- don't become stale - keep moving forwards
- do it for love not money
- believe in yourself and what you're doing
- have a very clear vision of what you're trying to achieve
- when the going gets tough (and it will) - stick with it and don't give up
- be brave - my motto for the last 3 years has been:

"Leap and the net will appear"

When you're off chasing your dreams, your strengths and weaknesses take on much greater significance. Use your strengths to your best ability and amazing things really do happen. Let your weaknesses get too much of a look-in and you risk everything tumbling down around you.

Attitude is really important too. Negativity is the killer of creativity. Brash, cocky attitudes aren't great either. You need a healthy dose of realism, not cynicism.

Support others and they will support you. I'm always amazed by the amount of love, support and encouragement I've received from other people, often those that I don't know that well. I'd like to think that's because that's what I give back. If your attitude's right, people are totally behind you, wanting you to succeed.

Life is full of opportunities - some come your way, others you create. It's your decision whether you grab those opportunities or let them pass you by. I know what I'd always choose.

No comments: