Saturday 6 September 2008

Dinner with the boss!

I had dinner with Alberto the other night so we could talk over what it is he wants me to do. It was good, we had a lovely meal at Ancient People in Ibiza Town and talked away. He'd already told me most of it earlier in the day so I'd have time to think about things and then we could discuss over dinner.

As well as running the shop, he wants me to take over managing all the bookings for his boutique hotel in Marrakech. There may also be stuff to do for the boutique hotel opening in Bali later in the year. I'll have an assistant to help me too! The funny thing is, before he asked me to manage the shop, he'd asked me to help with admin. I'm not thrilled by the prospect of admin, never have been, but I agreed to help as we're a small team and everyone gets involved with everything. I'm not sure what happened but instead of doing a bit of admin, I've now got the shop to manage and I've been asked to help with Marrakech and Bali! Our new assistant will cover the admin as part of her duties.

It feels like after six months of plugging away but not really getting anywhere, everything has suddenly fallen into place. People tell me things have happened quickly for me but by my standards, it felt like it took forever and I'm not used to grafting away and not seeing any results. I've always had instant gratification (or what seems like instant) so this did test me somewhat. But things are definitely moving in the right direction and it's great!

There's going to be travel involved to both Marrakech and Bali, with the first trip planned for before Christmas. I came here not knowing what to expect or how things would turn out but the island doesn't seem to be telling me to leave.

People say that your experience in Ibiza will be like nowhere else. I'm not sure that's entirely true, I think your experience here will be like your experience anywhere as you play a big part in how your experience is. But I do think that things are a lot more intense here and things can happen very suddenly. In the space of two weeks, I had to deal with the death of Simba and Tyke, being offered the job and being given the marching orders from my old house. Things are going well for me now but I remain grateful and calm about them as I know that things can be whipped away from you, as quickly as they happened.

It seems as is things started moving in the right direction as soon as I made the decision that I definitely wanted to live here. Up until I went back to London, well for the last two months before I went back, I struggled with things and didn't know if this was the place to be. But I decided yes and then things started happening. Maybe this is how the world works.....

No comments: