Wednesday 7 January 2009

I had the conversation

So, back to work this morning and as soon as I arrived, A trooped off to the bar to get coffees for us. When he came back, he slid the door shut and said he had a few things to talk about. "Maybe he's guessed..." I thought to myself. He had some news for me, possibly bad news. The owner of the flat where I was meant to return after the winter (according to the 2008 plans) had come to say he needed the flat back. I would have to move all my stuff out and find somewhere else to live by the end of March as I could live in the luxury villa til then.

Now this would normally have caused me all sorts of problems as it would have meant looking for somewhere to live once again. But that was in 2008 and now we're in 2009 and everything has changed. Well for me at least. I thought this was as good a time as any to announce my plans. So I told A that I was planning on returning to London. He looked thoroughly relieved. I think maybe he might have felt a little guilty getting me to move into the flat in the first place, only to find that I wouldn't have been able to live there long-term. And maybe they were starting to wonder what to do with me - recently I found myself becoming more and more of a secretary to Y. I don't mind looking over documents to check the English is word-perfect but being asked to type things up leaves me feeling a bit under-used. And under-whelmed. When I've taken the initiative to make things happen, generally they've got messed up, often in an embarrassing manner. So a bit of a stalemate really!

I didn't go into some long speech about things being chaotic and unprofessional, it didn't seem necessary. In my head I've already moved on to pastures new. I did say something about low pay and working six days a week and starting to wonder "so why am I doing this?" But ultimately I made it about me wanting to get on with my life and that's the truth. I've offered to carry on doing things with the British market once I'm back in London but only as a consultant - I'll help towards creating something successful if I'm rewarded properly.

If someone had made a fly-on-the-wall documentary about my adventure, I think it would have made quite good telly. I've experienced most emotions in my time here and my Spanish teacher said my life resembled a soap opera, amazing twists and turns every step of the way. Fantastic opportunities turned into disasters, the most heart-warming moments turned into heartbreak. But all in all it's been a brilliant adventure, a time to do something different, away from the hectic pace of city life. I've got two months left and I intend to make the absolute most of it!

No comments: