Friday 2 January 2009

Happy new year and welcome 2009!

I know there's meant to be an air of doom and gloom around at the moment but I feel very upbeat about 2009, excited even! As usual I have no idea what the year will bring but I think it's going to be a great year.

I saw the new year in at Tayo's Tracksuit Party. It turned out to be one of the best new year's I'd had in years. It being new year's wasn't what made it, I just liked the mix of party in a warehouse, ace music being played by friends, lots of familiar faces and dancing away like there was no tomorrow. The average age was probably about 18, it was if I'd turned my back for a year and when I turned round again, everything had got really young. The funny thing is, a couple of years ago I'd have been thinking "oh my god, everyone is so young which makes me feel so old!". But this time it was different, in some bizarre way it was exciting partying with people still in their teens, there was something quite exciting about know that they had their whole life ahead of them.

I also felt very sure about moving back to London. I don't know what the return will bring but I feel pretty cool about it all, I know that things will work out, they always do. A part of me feels that going to Ibiza was about having a break from London and a rest. I feel re-energised and ready to head back again. I think before I left I had got incredibly tired, not tired of London but just tired. A decade in London, fairly full-on at every turn had tired me out and maybe, just maybe, I needed a very big rest. The time in Ibiza does feel like it was a rest, although I've worked for a large part of my time there, it's pretty easy work and hasn't been as challenging as I once thought it might be. It had the potential to be a great challenge but I don't think it's going to happen so it's a bit like a rest, even though I work six days a week. But that often involves being at work with not much to do. Although this can be fine for a time, I'm bored of it now and want to get back to something more exciting.

I'm not sure how it's going to be taken by A & Y when I announce that I'm going to be moving back to London. The way that A has talked, I think he was expecting me to be with them for the rest of my life. But I need more than they can give and I need to see that my work is going in the direction I want it to be going and that just isn't going to happen with them. But at least returning to London feels like it's about me being ready to come back, less about work not really working out. I've done what many people just dream about doing. I never had any idea how it would pan out, I just knew that I wanted to go and live there and that's what I've done. A year is plenty of time away from London and I'm ready to come back!

No comments: