Tuesday 27 January 2009

A lot's happened...

I glanced over my last two posts and realised that I'd started both with "a lot's happened" and then I'd add in a framework of time. Although it was an accident to begin both this way, it pretty much sums up Ibiza - a lot seems to happen in a very short space of time. Things can go from one extreme to another in a matter of days, hours even. I wonder if this has something to do with the microclimate enjoyed by the island - a blistering hot day can turn into torrential downpours in the blink of an eye. My friends Ruby and Jenna have just been over to the island for a short visit. I last saw them three weeks ago when we all met for lunch in London. As we caught up on our respective three weeks, once again there was that realisation that we'd all lived about three months in three weeks, not one of us had a start to the year that could be described as "normal" - whatever normal may be.....

Yesterday as I read over my post from two weeks ago, there was that happy sensation that things had changed so much since that time. It had been written literally as soon as I'd had the weird conversation with A where he'd told me that there was no more work after the end of the week. It had been a pretty horrible atmosphere and after that conversation, I actually felt sick but had to carry on with my work as there was lots to do. I decided to move out of the villa as soon as possible as it would have been strange to carry on staying there once work had finished. I had nowhere to go but knew that things would work out as they were meant to work out. Towards the end of the week, things started to improve in terms of the atmosphere at work. The thing that really seemed to help is that since coming back from London, I'd been working alongside Y and she has a far calmer energy than A. We sat side by side and ploughed through stacks of work on the different websites. With A, one minute I'd be doing one thing, the next minute something else. There was lots of talk about the different things he wanted me to do but never the time to explain things so I could take over properly. Working with Y, I kept my head down and just got on with things.

On the Thursday, A told me he wasn't going to charge me for staying at the villa but by then, my friends George and Will had come to the rescue and helped me out. And to be honest, I thought it would probably be better if I went and stayed somewhere else for the last bit of my time in Ibiza. I know it's a hassle having to move again but I've come to the conclusion that Cala Carbo is like the Bermuda triangle, it's very easy to get sucked in and never leave again! The place is opposite Es Vedra, the third most magnetic place in the world. Es Vedra is like a huge majestic sculpture that looms out of the sea and it's true, you can feel the energy when you're in front of it. But to live right opposite it (as I was in the villa) can be too much energy that draws you in. I thought it better to escape while I could!

The next night, as I was rushing to finish my work and go and look at the beach house I was going to move into, A had an impromptu chat with me. It wasn't what I was expecting at all but I'm so glad we had that talk. Basically we had an honest, frank conversation about me leaving. We could both explain our positions from a calm, rational place and understand things from the other person's perspective - it was a proper grown-up conversation. At the end, we both said "I'm so glad we've had that conversation" as neither of us wanted things to end badly but I was prepared to make the break once I left as I really didn't think they wanted any more to do with me. From the place I'd been in a few days earlier, I never thought for a minute that the week would end the way it did, in a wonderful amazing manner! Now I know that I'll be leaving A and Y as friends and I will continue to be a part of their lives, as they will mine and this to me means an immense amount. The other thing was that when we discussed my trip to Marrakech and the long report I wrote, I didn't think anything I had written would be given much consideration. A told me that he was going to implement everything I had mentioned (apart from one point where we agreed to disagree) and this was another fantastic result as I didn't think I had made any difference. Now it seems that perhaps I did!

No comments: