Friday 28 November 2008

It's really cold here!

It might have been quite sensible to check what the weather does in Ibiza in the winter before moving out here. Actually, that's a silly sentence as I've never looked into the weather before going to live somewhere. Although anywhere that had a lot of dark or grey would probably not do very well in attracting me.

Anyway, winter seems to be on its way and it's pretty cold. This isn't helped by the fact that I haven't got any heating in my flat, apart from a small electric heater in the bathroom. I was given a couple of electric heaters but the electricity in the flat is not geared up for that type of heater (or maybe it's just not geared up to too many things being plugged in at the same time). In the last couple of weeks, the electricity has gone out three times and we've been plunged into darkness - this seems to happen when myself and my neighbours all put on a light and maybe switch one other appliance on too. The electricity set-up is a bit rubbish....

We do have heating at work though. Sadly this means that I'm now staying at work later and later as it's so cold in the flat I don't want to go home. I've lost count of the number of times I've made dinner still wearing my coat. And then I find myself thinking "I'm cold, I can't get warm so I might as well go to bed" - and it's only 8 o'clock! Hopefully over this week-end, we'll get some gas heaters for my flat and I can resume normal life again! I did a whole load of washing this week and then found I couldn't get my clothes to dry as they were just hanging there in the cold. I think I'm going to have to iron everything just to get it dry!

After getting cold a few times at night, I brought my winter duvet over from London. It made such a difference and I started sleeping well again. But the last couple of nights, the temperature has plummeted and two nights on the trot, I found myself waking up cold and not being able to get back to sleep again. Last night, I went to bed wearing layers. This is similar to the look I've perfected for the daytime but not quite so many layers. I hate having to wear anything at night but it's become necessary. So last night I went off to bed wearing jogging pants, a t-shirt and a big fleece. I had a wonderful night's sleep - being warm and snuggly is the way to go!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

The main reason for the cold indoors is dampness. Open your windows during the day if it's a warm day but make sure you close them all well before it starts to go cold. That way the dampness will evaourate and leave the flat while it's warmer outside than in.

Maybe get a dehmidifier to work with your gas heaters as gas pumps out a lot of water. You may need both.

PJs are a must!

adeibiza said...

you'll get used to it - its amazing how you get reliant on central heating and timers ;)

as *soon* as the sun goes down pull the curtains

there's someone in our block selling a butano bottle and gas heater

Azra Zakir said...

Thanks for the comments Hannah and Ade. I think the bosses felt sorry for me when they saw me late at work 2 nights on the trot. Yesterday I looked particularly grumpy and pissed-off. This morning they told me I could move into one of their luxury villas for the winter - central heating, all mod cons!